Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wes Fryer Chapter 6

Chapter 6 provided some really helpful examples, and advice for video usage in the classroom. One of the links that I explored was the link that explained the guidelines of downloading Youtube videos. This took me to the appendix of Fryer’s book where he himself explains the guidelines. I learned that it is prohibited to download any videos off of Youtube without prior permission. However, in some situations for teachers downloading Youtube videos to show to their students, it may be covered under the fair usage provisions. This could be helpful in my unit to bring the technology usage to a redefinition level. Students could embed videos into their Prezi, or iBooks that they will create. The next link that I clicked on was Kahn Academy link. I have heard of Kahn Academy, and have used it a few times, but I was unaware that it covered subjects other than math. I started to watch one of the history screencasts, and it was great. It had visuals, it was auditory, and it even had captions. This could be a great tailor for students who need it, and it could also be used by a student when they are absent if the video covers what we covered in class. Another link that I looked at was SchoolTube which is a site like Youtube, but for educational purposes only. I think that websites like these are a great idea, they filter out unwanted videos, and allow students to view other students work. It would also allow them to share their own work with other students’, which I feel is really powerful. In my unit students could be asked to upload their video project to this website so that they can get feedback from students all over the country. This would bring the usage of technology in that lesson to a redefinition level on the SAMR model. The last link that I clicked on was the using Storykit, Storyrobe, and Sonic Pics on your iOS device link. This was a video of Wes Fryer giving a brief overview of how each app works. I think these apps would be useful in the classroom because they are easy to use, and it would give me an excuse to let students use their phones in class for an educational reason. Students could use these apps to make their newscast for my unit instead of using podcast. That way they would get a chance to incorporate pictures like an actual newscast.

No comments:

Post a Comment